All international students attending Shirley Boys’ High school are required to live in accommodation approved by the school. Flatting is not permitted.
There are 3 options
- Shirley Boys’ High School will arrange an approved homestay family for the student. All our families are police vetted as required by the Code of Practice.
- The student may live with a designated caregiver arranged by the student’s family. We request that the designated caregiver completes a police vet and allows us to meet with them before the student arrives. The designated caregiver must be approved by the school.
- The student may live with his parents if they are in Christchurch.
We do recommend students use one of our Homestay families. Our Families are usually on a bus route to school or within walking distance. Our homestays are carefully chosen.
Shirley Boys’ Homestay accommodation will:
- Provide a safe physical and emotional environment, conducive to studying
- Provide a warm, comfortable furnished room with study facilities
- Provide 3 meals a day
- Provide laundry services
- Treat you as a member of their own family
- Set reasonable house rules for your guidance and for you to respect
- Encourage you to participate in the family’s activities and events (eg: chores, sports, family trips) and help you with speaking in English
Shirley Boys will:
- Have regular communication with the student to make sure he is happy in his homestay
- Shirley Boys’ will help will any problems between the homestay and student
A typical New Zealand home may have 3 bedrooms, living rooms, kitchen, bathroom and laundry. Most homes have a garden and usually have pets (eg. dog, cat) that are treated as members of the family.
Students are required to provide their own toiletries (i.e. toothpaste, hair shampoo).
Please ensure you complete the accommodation section in the Enrolment Application Form to indicate the type of accommodation you wish to have.