Keep up to date on Careers Events, Job Vacancies and News on our Career Wise website below.
At Shirley Boys’ High School, the Careers Advisor is responsible for providing career information and options to students, as well as overseeing the school’s Gateway and Canterbury Tertiary Collect (CTC) programmes. There are a number of trade training opportunities and work experience options available for students in Years 12 and 13.
The Gateway programme is funded by the Tertiary Education Commission (TEC) and managed by the Gateway Co-ordinator.
In consultation with an employer, a learning plan is developed for each student including industry-based unit standards that will contribute towards their NZQA Record of Learning.
Students are given the real opportunity to ‘test drive’ their career choices while gaining valuable ‘real life’ experiences and learning. Gateway gives the students confidence to make a smooth transition from school into the work force.
Benefits for young people
- Creates valuable relationships with industry professionals.
- Students gain confidence and are enthusiastic about their education.
- Students learn industry-based skills and gain valuable experience and knowledge.
- Students are able to make informed choices about their future direction.
- Students gain confidence to experience ‘life after school’ with full school support.
- Opportunity to contribute towards their NZQA Record of Learning.
- No costs associated with Gateway for the student.
- ’Real life’ experience.
- Providing pathways towards future study, employment or apprenticeship.
- Provide ongoing support for students and employers.
- Provide students with specific safety equipment at no cost to the employer.
- Provide students with Health & Safety. Site Safe or First Aid Qualifications prior to placement (if necessary).
- Develop a learning plan, in consultation with the employer for each student.
Benefits for Employers
- Opportunity to expose your industry to the employees of the future.
- Provides enthusiastic extra part-time help.
- Strengthens links to Industry Training.
- Provides the opportunity to give something back to the local community.
- Giving students a helping hand up to the future work force.